A bit of advice on the ingredients. You can get the cheapest flour, sour cream, milk and even butter but you have to get good vanilla for this recipe! It’s the main flavor and you want it to shine so go find a good real vanilla extract and it you want to get points for being fancy use some vanilla bean paste too while you’re at it. People love seeing the little specks of vanilla in the cupcakes.Feel free to modify this recipe! I especially love these cupcakes with a dollop of Italian meringue
buttercream on top as it’s less sweet and lighter (Tasting not calories) than American buttercream can definitely add sprinkles to this, 1/3 of a cup should do, to make this an amazing fnfetti cupcake!Baking papers come in different sizes and everyone’s oven is slightly different. I like to turn my pan halfway through baking and toward the end of the baking time I keep a close eye on the oven.Once the centers are springy and a toothpick comes out clean the cupcakes are ready. Being watchful at the end lessens the chances of having caramelized dark edges on your cupcake, ensuring it’s light, soft, and moist!
STEPS TO MAKE THESE CUPCAKES
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake papers in a cupcake pan. In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together until incorporated. Including the sugar.
2. In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
4. Distribute the batter evenly into cupcake papers.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch.
6. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the room temperature butter.
7. Add in the confectioners sugar in two batches.
8. Add salt, milk and vanilla. Mix until fluffy.
9. Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag. Pipe a large dollop of buttercream on each cupcake.
Most Vanilla Cupcakes
A simple vanilla cupcake for any occasion! So moist, fluffy, and delicious you'll make them every week!
Course DessertCuisine AmericanPrep Time 15 minutesCook Time 20 minutesTotal Time 35 minutesServings 16Calories 270 kcalAuthor John K.
For the Cupcakes:
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour 213g1 cups granulated sugar 200g1/4 tsp baking soda heaping1 tsp baking powder heaping1/4 tsp kosher salt3/4 cup unsalted butter 170g, room temperature3 egg whites room temperature3 tsp vanilla extract1/2 cup sour cream 120ml, room temperature1/2 cup whole milk 120ml, warm
For the Vanilla Buttercream:
2 lb confectioners sugar 900g, sifted1 lb unsalted butter 450g, room temperature1 tsp vanilla extract1 tbsp heavy cream1 pinch kosher salt1 tsp whole milk
For the Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake papers in a cupcake pan.
In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together until incorporated. Including the sugar.
In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until combined. (The batter may be clumpy! Do not worry!)
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
Distribute the batter evenly into cupcake papers.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch.
For the Buttercream:
In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the room temperature butter. Add in the confectioners sugar in two batches. Add salt, milk, cream and vanilla. Mix until fluffy.
Transfer to a piping bag.